Permit Information & Requirements
You can now apply online for a transportation permit here
YOU CAN NOW APPLY ONLINE FOR An annual TRANSPORTATION PERMIT HERE
Transportation/Oversize Load Permit
The City of Port Hueneme requires a Transportation Permit authorizing operation or movement, upon City streets, of vehicles and loads of a size and/or weight allowed in California Vehicle Code (CVC) Section 35701 and by City of Port Hueneme Municipal Code(s): Division 12- Restricted Use of Certain Streets.3290 - Restricting trucks to certain routes &Truck routes designated
Approved Truck Routes
A Truck Route Map can be downloaded below or here. All trucks are required to use the designated truck route, as these routes are designed for heavy truck traffic.
Permits are not issued until payment is rendered.
YOu can apply online for an encroachment permit here
PurposeAn Encroachment Permit is a contract between the City of Port Hueneme and the permittee that:
Encroachment Permits are issued by the Public Works Department and are required whenever work is within the City road right-of-way or City easement. Such work would include utility installations and repairs, roadway and drainage improvements by developers, driveway construction, sidewalk repair, filming of motion pictures and still photography, or placement of obstructions in the right-of-way such as fences, trees, poles, and overhead structures.
The permittee must provide commercial general liability coverage with policy limits of $1 million per occurrence, and $2 million general aggregate and commercial automobile liability coverage shall be a minimum of $1 million per accident. COPH Insurance Requirements can be found here.
Contractors working within the City right-of-way or City easement must have either a Class A, C-12 or C-34 license. C31 may perform traffic control services when there is no physical construction to the City right-of-way or City easement.
Encroachment Permit Submittal Requirements are listed in this handout. All documents are required for submittal. Documents may be submitted in any of the following ways:
- In person by appointment at the Public Works Service Yard, 700B Hueneme Rd, Port Hueneme, CA 93041
- via mail to Attn: Public Works Permits; 250 N. Ventura Rd, Port Hueneme, CA 93041, or
- via Email: firstname.lastname@example.org
All trenches in asphalt must conform to the City Standard Detail : Standard Detail 101 T- Trench & Pavement Restoration Asphalt ConcreteNon-construction related activities that may also require an encroachment permit include:
Phone Numbers to Call Prior to starting work
Contact the City three (3) working days prior to the start of construction at 805-986-6507, and your inspector will return your call to discuss inspection requirements. Contact Underground Service Alert (USA) toll-free at 811, three working days prior to digging or excavation.
Successful completion of an Encroachment Permit Application includes:
- Completed application with applicant's name and address, City Business License number, and State Contractors License number for each contractor working within the City right-of-way or City easement.
- Submit scale drawings, sketch, or written descriptions and limits of work to be completed in City right-of-way or City easement.
- Provide Certificate of Insurance with Endorsements (see handout of City Requirements) for each contractor working within the City right-of-way or City easement.
- Contractors working within the City right-of-way or City easement are required to have either a Class A, C-12 or C-34 license. C-31 may perform traffic control services when there is no physical construction to the City right-of-way or City easement.
- A contractor with a Class C-36 license may work in the City right-of-way or City easement in conjunction with a Class A, C-12 or C-34 to complete street paving.
- When working in the roadway submit a traffic control plan for City approval. A permit will not be issued if you do not have an approved traffic control plan.
- Pay the encroachment fee (amount to be determined based on the amount and type of work intended). Make check payable to: City of Port Hueneme. Credit Cards are accepted at City Hall.
- When all of the above are acceptable, we will assign an Encroachment Permit number, sign the permit and issue a copy to you and forward the original to our inspector.
- Before beginning work, read all attached conditions of the Encroachment Permit, 24 hours prior to beginning work, call Public Works Inspector at 805-986-6507.
- Maintain permit on site for the duration of construction.
Permits are not issued until payment is rendered.
Work in Progress
Who Needs an encroachment permit?
Individuals, companies, contractors, corporations, utilities and other agencies proposing to conduct any activities within, under, or over the city's right of way are required to obtain an encroachment permit.
- Examples of work requiring an encroachment permit include, but are not limited to: excavations, signs, post and fence installations, equipment/structures placed upon the street and/or sidewalk, vegetation planting/trimming, driveway or sidewalk installation/replacement, and utility work.
- Special event encroachment permit is for events within the public right-of-way proposing closure of streets and/or sidewalks. Some examples of events that may require this type of permit are neighborhood block events, filming and still photography, parades, marathon, runs, bike rides or items placed upon the sidewalk or street.
Do I need a Business License?
Contractors and sub-contractors performing work shall obtain and maintain a valid Business License from the City of Port Hueneme. Please contact our Finance Department for more information: here.
Port Hueneme City Hall
250 N. Ventura Road
Port Hueneme, CA 93041
Phone 805-986-6524 Fax: 805-986-6583
What are the Fees for an Encroachment Permit?
The permit application fee to initiate the application process is based on the Master Fee Schedule, see below for the fee structure.
|Driveway Approach - Residential||$144||Each|
|Driveway Approach - Commercial||$185||Up to Two|
|Excavations (Up to 100 sq. ft.)||$144||Plus additional $0.50 per sq.ft. over 100 sq.ft. in area|
|Fence - County Recorded Permit||$111||Each (for Public right-of-way)|
|Fire Flow Test||$111||Each plus $35 each additional test|
|Fire Line Backflow (No hot Tap)||$190||Each|
|Handicap Access Ramps||$185||Up to Two|
|Material/ Stockpile Storage||$111||.|
|Paving/Sidewalk Repair||$172||Plus additional $0.50 per sq.ft. over 100 sq.ft. in area|
|Traffic Control (First Day)||$111||Plus additional $20 each additional day needed|
|Tree Trimming/Removal||$111||Plus additional $20 each additional day needed|
|Utility Pothole||$111||Plus additional $20 each additional day needed|
|House Connection, Water, Sewer Storm Service||$258||.|
Where do I apply for an encroachment permit?
The permit application is available on-line. Click on links below for the application. Submitting an application does not constitute encroachment permit approval. Encroachment Permit Application (PDF) and email your completed application here.
You can also apply for a permit at the Public Works Department by scheduling an appointment with the permit coordinator. You can schedule an appointment by emailing: email@example.com or calling (805)-986-6507
Where is the Public Works Department located?
The Public Works Department is located at 700B E. Port Hueneme Road, Port Hueneme. Public Works is a service yard and staff is available by appointment only. Staff is available between 7:30 Am and 4 PM, Monday through Thursday, and every other Friday. We are closed every other Friday see Calendar for dates.